This page describes how to install RightLink 10 on your custom images. RightLink has the ability to be installed at boot time using cloud-init. This workflow is recommended as it allows the usage of standardized images released by various vendors such as Canonical. However, RightLink can be pre-installed if needed on a freshly built or snapshotted image.
Launching RightLink 10 enabled Servers without downloading and installing RightLink at boot time because of:
- Limited outbound connectivity
- Internal policy
- Lack of existing image options on a public or private cloud. For example, while Ubuntu images with cloud-init are generally available as they're provided by Canonical across the board, other operating systems may have limited availability.
- Need to use Advanced networking for RCA-V features. Software for this feature will automatically be installed with RightLink 10.2.0 and newer if VMware Tools or open-vm-tools are installed.
- Install script: root privileges, tar, and curl.
- RightLink itself: sudo and cloud-init. The standard OS cloud-init will usually work. However, for SoftLayer, and some CloudStack clouds, a custom cloud-init is required. See Cloud-init Installation for details.
- RCA-V images require VMware tools to be installed. Please see RCA-V Image Requirements. By default, RightScale network configuration scripts for RCA-V are installed along with RightLink 10 if VMware tools are present. These scripts will write your system network configuration files at boot time to enable use of Advanced Networking for RCA-V. Pass -n to not install this component.
rightlink.install.sh options are:
$ script/rightlink.install.sh -h Usage: rightlink.install.sh [-options...] Installs/Upgrades RightLink on an an image. -n skip installation of RightScale network configuration scripts for RCA-V -s start rightlink service at end of this script -h show this help -v verbose mode
Example: The following will install the latest GA RightLink on a CentOS image.
yum -y install cloud-init curl -s https://rightlink.rightscale.com/rll/10/rightlink.install.sh | sudo bash -s
Example: The following will install the latest GA RightLink on an Ubuntu image, skipping installation of network configuration scripts for RCA-V.
apt-get -y update >/dev/null apt-get -y install cloud-init python-serial sudo curl -s https://rightlink.rightscale.com/rll/10/rightlink.install.sh | sudo bash -s -- -n
rightlink.uninstall.sh options are:
$ script/rightlink.uninstall.sh -h Usage: rightlink.uninstall.sh [-options...] Uninstalls RightLink. -f override command prompt confirmation for uninstall -v verbose mode -h show this help
The following example will uninstall RightLink from disk. -f means not to prompt for confirmation.
curl -s https://rightlink.rightscale.com/rll/10/rightlink.uninstall.sh | sudo bash -s -- -f