This guide explains the requirements for a RightScale Cloud Appliance for vSphere (RCA-V) compatible image.
In order for RCA-V to retrieve the instance IP address, the image will need VMware tools installed. RightImages provided by RightScale will already have them installed. Otherwise, you can install open-vm-tools provided by your operating system. In cases where open-vm-tools is not available or you experience any problems, you can try using VMware tools.
Linux VMware Tools Installation Notes
We have seen issues where the VMware provided VMware tools installer does not correctly account for SELinux configurations. The issue can manifest itself as a very long DHCP configuration of eth0 when watching the console.
If your image has SELinux enabled, check the VMware tools installation as follows:
- Run this command on an instance based on the image:
- ls -Z $(readlink -f $(which vmtoolsd))
- Check the output and see if it shows something like this:
- -rwxr-xr-x. root root unconfined_u:object_r:lib_t:s0 /usr/lib/vmware-tools/sbin64/vmtoolsd
- If you see the
lib_tin the output that is not correct in an SELinux enabled server. Instead, it should be
bin_tand is caused by an issue with the VMware tools installer.
- If you do have SELinux enabled and you see the
lib_tin the output, then you can run this command to fix the issue.
- restorecon -v $(readlink -f $(which vmtoolsd))