Below is the architecture we tested against. For information on other reference architectures see http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/private/architecture/
Note: Nova-networking is used since Quantum is not yet included in Alamo.
Adding to RightScale
When adding a RackSpace Private zone with basic networking and security groups to the RightScale Cloud Management (CM) Dashboard, the following cloud capabilities should be set:
- Security Groups: Enabled
- Port Forwarding: Disabled
- Subnets: Disabled
- Multiple Subnets: Disabled
Cinder, Swift-Proxy, Glance Nova-Network, and Nova-Manage Server
Runs the Cinder, Swift-Proxy, Glance, Nova-Network. Nova-Manage, Keystone, Horizon and MySQL services. Each service will share the database on this server. Provides image management, block storage, object storage proxy and compute management. This server has high I/O and network requirements. A RAID5 array provides improved disk I/O while still providing fault tolerance. 10Gb network configuration is recommended for the storage server to reduce instance and snapshot creation time.
- 10Gb Private NIC
- 1-10Gb Public NIC
If block storage disk space becomes an issue, additional Cinder nodes can be added to increase space. Adding extra Glance servers can be used to reduce disk and network I/O on each Glance server.
Runs swift storage nodes. Provides storage space and distribution to Swift cluster.
10GB Private NIC
Additional hypervisors should be added to a cluster in the event that VMs cannot be launched due to hypervisor disk or memory capacity. Extra hypervisors can also be added to a cluster if VMs are running slow due to insufficient disk I/O.
Example Hardware Configuration
|Component||Server||Disk Speed||Disk Size||CPU||Memory||Port Speed|
|Management||raxpmgmt1||15k SCSI||3.6TB(7x 600GB 15k SCSI - RAID5)||Single 5310||8GB||10Gb|
|Hypervisor||raxpkvm1||SSD||1.6TB (4x 400GB SSD - RAID0)||Dual X5650||48GB||10Gb|
|Hypervisor||raxpkvm2||SSD||1.6TB (4x 400GB SSD - RAID0)||Dual X5650||48GB||10Gb|
Zenoss is recommended for OpenStack monitoring, but OpenStack monitoring is also possible with Nagios.
- For more information on Zenoss look here: OpenStack (Provider View) ZenPack
- Glance API becomes completely non-responsive while uploading an image
- Hypervisor networking becomes temporarily unavailable when instances are launched and terminated. Although Cinder is responsible for volume quotas, Horizon still looks to Nova for the quota. If a volume limit is set lower in Nova than in Cinder, Horizon will prevent creating additional volumes, but additional volumes can still be created up to the Cinder limit using the CLI or API. RightScale will immediately report a detached volume is available, but Cinder takes about 20 seconds to fully detach. If a volume delete operation is requested during this time, it will result in an error.